Feeding birds can be a rewarding and enjoyable activity that also helps support local wildlife. Here are five top tips to consider when starting to feed the birds:
- Choose Appropriate Feed: Different bird species have varying dietary preferences. Select a variety of birdseed, nuts, and suet that cater to the types of birds you want to attract. Black sunflower seeds are a popular option as they attract a wide range of bird species – we also have fab seed mixes which cater to a large number of species.
- Use Quality Feeders: Invest in well-designed, sturdy bird feeders that are easy to clean and maintain - Make sure the feeders are suitable for the type of food you’re offering. View our range of feeders here.
- Placement and Safety: Position feeders in a safe and accessible location. Place them at least 5-10 feet away from windows to prevent bird collisions. Ensure there’s a clear line of sight for predators to be spotted by the birds, such as placing feeders near trees or shrubs.
- Regular Cleaning: Clean your bird feeders and bird baths regularly to prevent the spread of diseases among the birds. Use a mild solution of bleach and water to disinfect feeders, and rinse them thoroughly before refilling. Empty and clean bird baths every few days to prevent algae growth.
- Provide Fresh Water: Birds need water not only for drinking but also for bathing. Place a shallow bird bath or water source near your feeders. Make sure to change the water frequently to keep it clean and fresh.
Bonus Tip: Be Patient: It might take some time for birds to discover your feeders. Be patient and consistent in refilling them. Once birds find a reliable food source, they are likely to return regularly.